Frequently Asked Questions

Where does teak come from? Teak (Tectona grandis) is a tropical hardwood species placed in the family Lamiaceae. Tectona grandis is a large, deciduous tree that occurs in mixed hardwood forests. It has small, fragrant white flowers and papery leaves that are often hairy on the lower surface. Teak wood has a leather-like smell when it is freshly milled. Teak timber is particularly valued for its durability and water resistance, and is used for boat building, exterior construction, veneer, furniture, carving, turnings, and other small wood projects.[2] Tectona grandis is native to south and southeast Asia, mainly India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar and Bangladesh but is naturalized and cultivated in many countries in Africa and the Caribbean. Whitecap’s teak products come from the forests of Thailand.

Do you have Hole Patterns? Yes. We are in the process of adding them to this website per P/N. If you are unable to find the hole pattern you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

How do I install a swim platform? Instructions will be available as a pdf attachment on the specific P/N within our website.

How Can I use your photos? Our photos are in jpeg format. For Distributors, they can be used to add Whitecap part number images to their own websites and/or catalogs.

How can I install a gas shock? Due to liabilities, we are unable to give specific instructions on how to install gas shocks.

What size gas shock do I need? You will first need to know how much weight (P1 forcce)you want your gas shock to lift & hold up. Our gas springs have their P1 force in the detailed description on each P/N.

How do I order your products? Please see our How to Purchase link on the Home page. You can find a distributor by zip code.

What is the angle of flagpole bases? The angle is 12°

Do you stock replacement caps for Chain/Rope Deck Pipes? Yes, we do. We stock P/N S-114T which fits 2-1/4” x 4” Opening and S-113T which fits 1-3/4” round opening.

Are your anchor shackles and chain load rated? No, these products are not load rated.

What is the difference in Dacron vs. Polypropylene material? Dacron is a material that is resistant to the sun and salt water elements found while boating. Therefore, it is a stronger material than polypropylene and will last a longer time.

How do I install a Whitecap Switch Panel? Instructions will be available as a pdf attachment on the specific P/N within our website.

Are Whitecap Locking T-Handles and Compression Handles keyed-alike? Yes, they are. The nylon body key fits all locking nylon body T-handles; the nylon body key for compression handles will fit all of the nylon body compression handles; the key for the 3” stainless steel body compression handles will fit the same size body and the key for the 2” stainless steel body compression handles will fit the same size body.

Are spare keys available for the T-Handles and Compression Handles? Yes, they are. Locking T-Handles: S-226KEY; Locking Compression Handle Bodies: 6228KEY; 2” Stainless Steel Compression Handles: S-238KEY; 3” Stainless Steel Compression Handles: S-236KEY.

Are spare parts available for the T-Handles and Compression Handles? Other than the keys and cam bars, there are no spare parts available for the T-Handles or Compression Handles.

Are spare parts available for the washdown outlets and inlets? Replacement caps are available for P/N P-2454 (Spare Cap P/N P-2454CAP) and P/N P-2455 (Spare cap P/N P-2455CAP). No other spare parts are available for these items.

Are there USCG requirements for sounding devices? The United States Coast Guard requires that all vessels less than 12 meters (39 feet) must carry an efficient sound production device. Also all vessels over 12 meters (39 feet) and less than 20 meters (65 feet) must carry a power whistle or power horn and a bell. The whistle must be audible for ½ nautical mile. The mouth of the bell must be at least 200mm (7.87 inches) in diameter.

Are spare liners available for Whitecap Rod Holders? Yes, replacement liners are available for our flush mount rod holders (P/N 6248 (White) and P/N 6247 (Black)) and our removable rod holders (P/N S-1957L (White only)).

What is the hole-pattern for a specific cleat? We have provided a view of specific hole patterns with each hollow base cleat.

What is the working load on galvanized shackles? Our galvanized shackles are hot dipped commercial grade shackles. They are not load rated.

Are your Engine Controls compatible with Morse Controls? Our Engine Control is similar to Morse or Teleflex controls. However, we only sell the control and not the cables. They can be used in a dual station hook up.

What is the hole-pattern for a specific antenna mount? We have provided a view of specific hole patterns with each antenna mount.

Is Zamac safe for salt water applications? Do not use Zamac products in or around any saltwater environment. Such usage could result in surface pitting. We are not responsible for any damage to any Zamac product used in a saltwater application.

Do you carry replacement deck fill caps? Yes, we do. However, all threads are not the same. We cannot guarantee our cap will fit our deck fill unless the base is from Whitecap. We suggest your contact the boat manufacturer to see if they used Whitecap at the time of production.

Is there a teak Website? Yes, check out

Still have a question?
Contact us.

Copyright © 2015 Whitecap Ind., Inc.